With summer behind us, we still have time to indulge in the natural sweetness of one of my favorite fresh local fruits. Oh, blackberry, I love you so. I have created a sandwich which is out of this world.
I start by making a blackberry jam, roasting jalapeños, and layering the sourdough bread with brie and Havarti cheese, blackberry jam, crispy bacon, and sliced turkey.
This sandwich has it all — sweet, salty, heat, creaminess, and acid from the lemon juice.
Yields 2 sandwiches
4 pieces crispy bacon
4 ounces blackberry jam
4 each slices sourdough bread
4 each jalapeño
3 ounces brie cheese
3 ounces havarti cheese
8 ounces deli turkey
2 ounces cooking oil
2 ounces butter
2 1\2 cups fresh blackberries
2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
2 1\4 cups sugar
Making the blackberry jam
- Place the berries in a medium-size saucepan. Bring to a full boil over high heat, mashing the berries with a potato masher as they cook. Add lemon juice and boil for 1 minute, continually stirring and mashing.
- Add the sugar and return the berry mixture to a simmer, continually stirring until it begins to look syrupy and thickens slightly (about 5 minutes). Be careful not to let the mixture get too thick because it will thicken as it cools.
- Remove from heat and test for doneness. The berry jam should coat the back of a spoon.
Roasting the jalapeños
- Toss the jalapeños in the cooking oil and roast on high heat in the oven until charred, let cool and slice into rings.
Making the sandwiches
- Spread the butter on one slice of the sourdough bread, and the other slice sourdough bread with blackberry jam, (both slices of the bread are coated).
- Add the Havarti to one slice and the brie to the other slice. Finish by adding the turkey, jalapeños and bacon.
- Place bread butter side down in a medium-size sauté pan and cook over medium heat until golden brown. Cut in half and serve immediately.
Created by Chef Brent Clarkson, Cedars Café and The Draft Sports Bar, Tulalip Resort Casino.