Nathan Ursino, Eagles’ senior defender, battles for possession in the first half against Mountlake Terrace at Arlington High School on April 8.


The Arlington boys soccer team hosted the Mountlake Terrace Hawks for a back-and-forth matchup, on April 8.

From the start of the match Mountlake Terrace took the initiative early as they were aggressive on the offensive end. Arlington stood tall on defense as their backline and keeper made incredible plays to keep the ball out of the net. Later in the first half the Eagles managed to ignite their offense and made a few deep runs into the Hawks' territory, however, they weren’t able to score before halftime.

After halftime, Arlington continued to ride their momentum from the end of the first half and scored quickly against the Hawks. In the 45th minute the Eagles scored off of a header from a corner kick and took the lead 1-0 over Mountlake Terrace. For the rest of the match the Eagles played strong defense and took their shots conservatively, as they maintained the shutout against the Hawks and earned the 1-0 victory.

“We’re coming off a four-game losing streak and we knew that we needed a positive performance. All of the guys came in wanting a win when a lot of teams would be hanging their heads, so I’m really proud to see them perform,” said first-year Arlington Head Coach Kieren Raney.

Arlington was led on the offensive end by Juan Castillo and Ferley Cork. Castillo, sophomore mid, played a key role in the middle of the offense as he made a lot of key passes throughout the game to put pressure on the Hawks’ defense. Cork, sophomore forward, used his speed and ball control to get past defenders throughout the match.

The Eagles were led by their back three defenders Nathan Ursino, Caleb Jay, Keegan Neilson and their keeper Noah Sawdon. Ursino, senior, broke up the Hawks’ possessions all night and also earned the only goal of the match with a header five minutes into the second half. Jay, junior, and Neilson, senior, played key roles in the back line as they were responsible for clearing balls and turning the momentum for the Eagles. Sawdon, senior, was a vocal leader for Arlington as well as earning multiple saves and the shutout victory.

“In my first year I wanted to create an atmosphere where we are willing to fight for every match, no matter the opponent. There have been a few stumbling blocks early on, but overall I think we are heading in the right direction. We’re going to be fighting,” said Coach Raney.

If you want to come out and support the Eagles their next home match will be against the Marysville-Pilchuck Tomahawks on Friday, April 19, at 7:30 p.m.


(0) comments

Welcome to the discussion.

Keep it Clean. Please avoid obscene, vulgar, lewd, racist or sexually-oriented language.
Don't Threaten. Threats of harming another person will not be tolerated.
Be Truthful. Don't knowingly lie about anyone or anything.
Be Nice. No racism, sexism or any sort of -ism that is degrading to another person.
Be Proactive. Use the 'Report' link on each comment to let us know of abusive posts.
Share with Us. We'd love to hear eyewitness accounts, the history behind an article.