The Marysville Getchell boys soccer team hosted the Arlington Eagles for their final regular season match on April 30.

The Chargers entered the match with no chance to make the postseason and every reason to leave everything out on the field. Marysville Getchell got off a hot start as they scored twice in the first 10 minutes of the game. The first goal came in the 3rd minute on a header off a corner kick, and the second was in the 7th minute from a cross-goal assist. Arlington continued to fall behind throughout the first half as the Chargers scored twice more in the 25th and 28th minutes. Nearing the end of the half, the Eagles managed to find a hole in the Marysville Getchell defense and scored their first goal in the 37th minute. Heading into halftime the Chargers led 4-1.

In the second half, the offensive production slowed down as each team played better on the defensive side of the ball. Nearing the final 10 minutes of the match the Chargers were able to find the back of the net once again as they put up their fifth goal in the 68th minute on a penalty kick. The Eagles weren’t going to walk away without a fight as they closed the gap with a goal of their own two minutes later in the 70th minute. Unfortunately for Arlington, they weren’t able to catch up as Marysville Getchell finished the season on a 5-2 victory.

“The kids played well and you never know what to expect on a senior night, but they came out laser focused. The effort has been there all season and this team has played really hard no matter what team they were going against,” said Marysville Getchell Head Coach Kyle Suits.

Marysville Getchell had multiple players contribute to their huge day including Ethan Fuerte, Mark Popach and Robert Green Jr. Fuerte, senior mid, was all over the field as he scored two goals and tallied one assist in the contest. Popach, sophomore forward, scored the last goal before the half as they made a statement scoring four goals in the first. Green Jr., senior defender, led the defense on the back end and also scored the final goal for the Chargers on a penalty kick. 

“Consistency is something we need to work on through the rest of this season and into the offseason. After a game like this I’m telling my guys that once you hit postseason, records don’t matter. We just need to keep our foot on the gas and not let up,” said Arlington Head Coach Kieren Raney.

Arlington had big plays on the offensive end from Ferley Cork and Juan Hernandez. Cork, sophomore forward, used his athleticism late in the first half to score the first goal for the Eagles. Hernandez, senior mid, put up the second goal for Arlington as he scored in close in the second half.

After this match the Chargers season is over as they will look to go into the offseason. Arlington went on to win their 3A District Play-In game over the Lynnwood Royals, 2-1, on May 2. The Eagles faced the Marysville-Pilchuck Tomahawks on May 4 and lost 0-1 as they continue to fight through the postseason.  


(0) comments

Welcome to the discussion.

Keep it Clean. Please avoid obscene, vulgar, lewd, racist or sexually-oriented language.
Don't Threaten. Threats of harming another person will not be tolerated.
Be Truthful. Don't knowingly lie about anyone or anything.
Be Nice. No racism, sexism or any sort of -ism that is degrading to another person.
Be Proactive. Use the 'Report' link on each comment to let us know of abusive posts.
Share with Us. We'd love to hear eyewitness accounts, the history behind an article.