The Marysville Fire District reminds everyone to celebrate the holidays safely after a recent fire near a family’s Christmas tree.
An extension cord malfunction is believed to have caused the fire in the 7000 block of 29th Ave NE in the early morning hours of Dec. 13. The fire extended to curtains near the extension cord and Christmas tree but a family member was able to put the fire out using water before it spread any further. No one was hurt and the fire caused minor damage.
One out of every four home Christmas tree fires is caused by electrical problems. This local incident is a reminder of the danger that can exist with holiday decorations, so it’s important to:
- Always turn off Christmas tree lights before leaving home or going to bed.
- Only use extension cords on a temporary basis. Inspect cords for damage and avoiding using cords that are frayed, pinched or feeling hot.
- Check electrical cords to make sure they are not running across doorways or under rugs where they can get damaged.
- Avoid overloading extension cords and follow manufacturer’s instructions for wattage allowed.
- Keep your Christmas tree at least three feet from any heat source.
- Replace any string of lights with worn or broken cords or loose bulb connections.
- Test your smoke alarms monthly to be sure they’ll alert your family during a fire.