North County Outlook - Community newspaper serving Marysville, Arlington, Tulalip, Smokey Point, Lakewood

M-P defeats Shorewood 2-0


Andrew Hines

Edgar Martinez, Marysville sophomore mid, settles in open space and looks to pass against the Thunderbirds at Marysville-Pilchuck High School on May 8

The Marysville-Pilchuck boys soccer team matched up with the Shorewood Thunderbirds in the second round of the 3A District Tournament on May 8.

The Tomahawks started off aggressive as they made a point of pushing the ball upfield and keeping possession for their offense. They were able to earn a corner kick early on and converted that for a goal in the seventh minute of the match. Through the rest of the first half, Marysville-Pilchuck kept the pressure on by accumulating 10 more shots-on-goal than the Thunderbirds. In the final minute of the first half, the Tomahawks were able to score once again, sending them into halftime up 2-0.

In the second half, Marysville-Pilchuck kept their dominance with time of possession and limiting Shorewood's shots-on-goal. With a total of eight shots the Thunderbirds couldn't find the back of the net through the next 40 minutes. The Tomahawks couldn't score again but still walked away with the 2-0 victory.

Andrew Hines

photo BY Andrew Hines Kenton Lien, Tomahawks' senior defender, fights for possession and looks to pass upfield at Marysville-Pilchuck High School on May 8.

"We were able to score early which relieved a lot of pressure going into the second half. The important thing was being able to get underclassmen some time and keep our guys fresh moving forward," said Marysville-Pilchuck Head Coach Paul Bartley.

The Tomahawks were led by their duo of seniors, defender Nain Galvan and forward Daniel Valadez. Galvan scored the first goal for Marysville-Pilchuck off of a corner kick in the seventh minute of the first half. Valadez scored the second and final goal of the game in the 40th minute of the first half which sealed the win.

Marysville-Pilchuck's two goalkeepers, junior Eric Ibanez and senior Blake Finsen, also played a huge role in the victory. They were able to complete the shutout while also totaling five saves on eight total shots-on-goal.

After winning against the Thunderbirds, the Tomahawks lost in the next round to the Squalicum Storm by a score of 1-0 in overtime. With that loss their season is over and they will look to come back next season stronger than ever.


Reader Comments


Powered by ROAR Online Publication Software from Lions Light Corporation
© Copyright 2018