North County Outlook - Community newspaper serving Marysville, Arlington, Tulalip, Smokey Point, Lakewood

Quil Ceda Village - Favorite Neighborhood Stores

O'Dea shuts out Tomahawks 49-0


Sarah Lane

Marysville-Pilchuck senior quarterback Eric Lind attempts a pass before being tackled by O'Dea's defense.

The Marysville-Pilchuck Tomahawks felt a tough loss against the Fighting Irish of O'Dea at their Sept. 18 home game, losing 49-0.

Marysville-Pilchuck failed to score a single touchdown Friday night, and made numerous technical mistakes that O'Dea was quick to take advantage of. O'Dea, who is currently 3-0 this season, scored a total of seven touchdowns followed by seven successful kicks. M-P head coach Brandon Carson acknowledged his team's mistakes and said, "I thought we moved the ball well against them, but the turnovers killed us."

The first quarter started off strong for O'Dea, as Sam Sanchez scored a touchdown two minutes into play. Pilchuck made a strong effort to even the score, but were unable to secure 10 yards at the 25-yard line and had a turnover. O'Dea utilized that turnover and in the seventh minute as Zachary Oster completed a 72-yard run touchdown. Two minutes later, Marysville-Pilchuck had one of numerous fumbles of the evening, which resulted in O'Dea's Thomas Stowers recovering the ball for a touchdown. O'Dea's last touchdown of the first quarter came with a minute left following a Marysville turnover. Race Porter scored the touchdown, putting O'Dea up 28-0 in the first quarter.

Sarah Lane

Marysville-Pilchuck senior wide receiver Trent Tinglestad attempts a run past the O'Dea defensive line. Marysville-Pilchuck lost their Sept. 18 game, 49-0.

One minute into the second quarter, Pilchuck had another fumble, giving O'Dea possession. O'Dea made their way down the field, and Sanchez had his second touchdown of the night after a 19-yard pass from quarterback Nathan West. Marysville then lost possession after an interception by O'Dea. With only 54 seconds left in the first half, O'Dea's Frederick Cooper scored their sixth touchdown, putting Marysville-Pilchuck down 42-0 at the half.

Pilchuck's defense stepped up in the second half, allowing O'Dea only one touchdown at the end of the fourth quarter. Pilchuck had numerous attempts at drives, but they either ended in turnovers, interceptions or fumbles. The Tomahawks, who are coming off what Coach Carson described as "an incredible season" after making it to the state semifinals last year, now have a record of 1-2. Carson said the team needs "to do a better job of taking care of the ball and executing in the redzone" for their next match against Stanwood on Friday, Sept. 25.


Reader Comments


Powered by ROAR Online Publication Software from Lions Light Corporation
© Copyright 2017